We understand that our members may periodically run into financial hardships. If your financial situation is affecting your ability to make your School Employees Credit Union of Washington mortgage or home equity loan payment, we may be able to help. We encourage you to contact some of the resources below to help you research and understand your options.
1. Financial counseling affiliate BALANCE® provides access to a wealth of education resources to help homeowners avoid foreclosure. BALANCE offers educational material such as, "Early Delinquency Intervention: Saving Your Home from Foreclosure," which provides homeowners with information on how they might avoid losing their homes through the foreclosure process.
2. The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) offers free or low cost counseling services throughout the country.
To find a certified HUD counseling agency in our area:
- 1-800-569-4287 (TDD 1-800-877-8339)
3. School Employees Credit Union Credit Analysts can help you narrow in on the best options for your needs. Please be prepared to discuss your income and expenses including taxes, employment and account statements.
Please explore every reasonable alternative to avoid losing your home, but beware of scams, and do not sign anything you do not understand. Examples of scams to watch out for:
- Equity Skimming: A buyer offers to repay the mortgage or sell the property if you sign over the deed and move out.
- Phony Counseling Agencies: Offer counseling for a fee when it is typically provided at no charge.