The youth of today is the hope of tomorrow's future. That's why School Employees Credit Union is dedicated to providing our youngest members with the resources necessary to become financially successful adults.
We offer two separate youth plans—M3™ Money Club and Elements of Money™—each one offering special advantages for different age groups, ranging from newborn to 17 years old.
First things first—start with a savings plan!
It's never too early to establish strong savings habits. By opening a Youth Savings account, not only are you establishing a pattern of saving, you're also establishing membership for your child at School Employees Credit Union. And once a member, always a member—your child will have access to our full suite of additional benefits available within our M3 Money and Elements of Saving Clubs.
Begin by completing a Youth Membership Application. Once completed, simply open an Elements Savings account for preteens and teens ages 11-17 years old and M3 Money Club Savings for children under the age of 10*.
Elements of Money™ (for members ages 11 – 17)
Elements of Money provides a customizable way to teach pre-teens and teens essential money management skills before they're applying them on their own. All products are co-signed by parents or guardians, allowing you to pick the exact combination that's right for your child's maturity and individual needs.
Elements of Money includes accounts and services, on top of cool features like blogs, videos, and tips—all written in a style they can totally relate to. Mix and match or utilize them all—choose from our suite of teen-centric products and services:
Getting through to your teen just got easier than ever!
All memberships include:
- Elements Savings accounts* (required) Sign up for eStatements for and even higher dividend rate!
- Quarterly Elements of Money newsletter
- Access to Elements of Money website, which includes a blog and articles written just for teens
- Monthly Elements of Money podcasts, delivered to your teen's desktop or mobile device
- Elements of Money financial education videos on demand via YouTube
- Elements of Money online communities on Facebook and Twitter
- BalanceTrack® "Teens and Money" financial education tutorial
- Elements Checking Account*– Members can qualify for a dividend-earning checking account with no monthly service and free convenient services. Just $50 opens the account. Sign up for eStatements to receive an even higher dividend rate!
- Visa® debit card or ATM card** – Both are tied to the member's checking account and include $200 weekend limits.
- Youth Visa® credit card** – Good anywhere Visa® is accepted. This card typically features a credit limit of $200-$500, with no annual fees.
- Youth Loans** – Loans in the amount of $200 to $1,000 are available for a number of important issues (like buying a musical instrument or funding a school trip). The teen members must have a source of income and have been an account holder in good standing for 90 days. Loans are repayable over 12 to 15 months.
- eStatements – Sign up for eStatements for more convenience and rate increases! Receive a boost in rates on amounts up to $500 within our Elements Checking Account and Elements Savings Account.
M3™ Money Club (for members 10 and under)
It's never too early to learn good financial habits, and M3 Money Club makes saving fun and exciting for our youngest members. Your child transforms into a savings super star with help from Cash and Violet, two supercool superheroes with a knack for saving money. Learn more about all the enriching products and services our M3 Money Club can provide not only your child but also you—journey toward financial success together.
- M3 Money Club Savings* – With as little as $5, you can open a dividend-earning savings account for your child. Children learn to keep track of their money through convenient services like online banking and eStatements. Parent or guardians can even add an ATM card to the account.
- M3 Money Club Website – Members receive a quarterly newsletter and can stop by for a virtual visit to the M3 Money Club website anytime to play games, read comics, download coloring pages, or listen to a podcast created just for kids.
- eStatements - Receive an increased rate on amounts up to $500 in your M3 Money Club Savings account simply by signing up for eStatements!
*Parents must first open and remain on a savings account with their child until they reach 18 years of age.
**A parent or legal guardian is required to provide approval for each of these products. Subject to credit approval.